How to Create a Chippy Finish Using Chalk Paint

Today I'm sharing with you how to create a chippy paint look using chalk paint. I dearest this look because it gives pieces a more of an erstwhile-earth, timeworn look. The procedure was completely adventitious and truth be told, I'one thousand slightly embarrassed to share my actual procedure with you, but a Facebook reader asked and so here goes! It all worked out beautifully in the terminate, so I guess it'south okay that I made some mistakes along the way. Lol!

In that location are no mistakes,just happy accidents.

Bob Ross
How to Create a Chippy Finish Using Chalk Paint

If you follow me on Facebook, yous'll know that just before our Shelter in Place society, I found some fantastic hurricane lamp candle holders at HomeGoods for merely $19.99. Now the skilful news is that since the stores closed shortly thereafter, there'south a good hazard that HomeGoods will nevertheless have these in stock when the stores open again.

Tidbits and Twine - Cement Hurricane Candle Holder

I loved the detail on these cement candle holders, simply not so much the color. Thinking I'd only give them a quick coat of paint when I got habitation I purchased them without hesitation. Little did I know that I'd change my mind THREE times before settling on a wait I liked! Lol!

Below is the process I used…absolutely, this probably isn't the most efficient way to accomplish the await. So at the very bottom I've written the instructions for a ameliorate way to achieve the wait. Regardless, this is what I did using supplies I already had on hand.

Supplies

  • Annie Sloan Chalk Pigment – Coco
  • Annie Sloan Chalk Paint – Paris Grey
  • CeCe Caldwell Chalk Paint – Texas Tea
  • Annie Sloan Soft Wax – Clear
  • Annie Sloan Soft Wax – Dark
  • 3 stiff brushes
  • 1 small arts and crafts paintbrush
  • Lint-complimentary rags

How to Create a Chippy Paint Wait Using Chalk Pigment

  1. Paint Entire Piece Brown

    I painted the entire concrete base with a thick coat of Texas Tea. I am specifying thick coat in this step because I didn't water the paint down, and I often do. I wanted a thick coat then as to minimize the risk of rubbing the brown all the style off during subsequently steps in this process.

  2. Paint Entire Piece Coco

    Once the Texas Tea was dry, I covered the unabridged piece with a coat of Coco. Originally, I wanted to create forest expect for the candlesticks, so my plan was to rub some of the Coco off, exposing the brown (which would wait like woods).

  3. Moisture Distress

    To expose some of the brown underneath, I took a make clean, damp rag and rub away spots of the Coco {this is known as a wet distressing technique}. I took the paint off of the high ridges to mimic how things commonly wear over time.

  4. Add together Clear and Night Wax

    In this step, I used some other stiff brush to first apply a coat of Clear wax to the entire piece. Before it stale, I used another strong brush to apply a coat of Night wax to the entire slice and quickly rubbed off backlog using a lint-gratis rag. I then went back with a pocket-size arts and crafts paintbrush and added more dark wax to the crevices.

  5. Use Liming Wax

    Merely to add a few highlights, I applied some liming wax using a dry out textile, quickly wiping off excess. If you plan to stop at this step, then use the liming wax. If you plan to complete the tutorial for the chippy paint expect, skip this step completely {run into below}.

    Now in all honesty, this is where I planned to stop considering this was the coloring I had in my head when I started. Only after living with it a couple of days, I didn't similar it. It was a lilliputian boring and didn't seem authentic to me. And then….

  6. Paint Entire Piece Paris Greyness

    I thought peradventure I didn't want information technology to be dark-brown anymore! Maybe grey was the color for me! Then I painted the entire affair with Paris Grayness, and then Articulate and Dark waxed it once more.

    Unfortunately, I didn't really like this look either. The contrast between the Paris Grey and the Dark wax in the crevices was much to dramatic and phony looking. At this point, I regretted ever painting it in the first place! And and then…

  7. Throw Entire Thing into the Kitchen Sink and Scrub Like Crazy!

    I told you this wasn't the almost efficient process! Yes, I threw the entire piece into the kitchen sink and let information technology soak for a good hour in warm water {to soften the wax}. I then used dish soap and a scrub brush and went to town. Past a stroke of fortune, the result is simply what I wanted! A nice chippy old-world expect with a mix of 3 paint colors.

Tidbits and Twine Old World Candlestick Chalk Paint Finish

A Meliorate Process

Obviously, almost things that you paint tin can't exist thrown in the kitchen sink, so the procedure I used isn't practical. If I were to do this all once more, I'd do the post-obit:

  1. Paint the first coat in dark-brown
  2. Wax the brown glaze (to ensure I didn't rub it all the way off}
  3. Pigment a layer of Coco
  4. Paint a layer of Paris Grey
  5. Take a damp rag and rub the colors back off in a random fashion to allow all three colors to be exposed. Note: Without the wax on the outer layers, at that place's no demand to resort to warm water and a scrub castor to get it off. Instead, simply apply a standard moisture distressing technique.
  6. The majority of the piece is Coco, with bits of brown showing through underneath and Paris Grey as highlights.

I took the glass off because I'm not swell at dusting and I'm just using the base for a candle correct now.

Tidbits&Twine Dining Room Table Centerpiece Tutorial

Both are on my dining room tabular array, along with an former iron urn that a friend gave to me. Since I can't go out to the store, I didn't have any flowers or a establish to put in urn to brand for a pretty picture! Instead, I'll have to brand due with a faux plants. At to the lowest degree I can't kill them!

Tidbits&Twine Everyday Dining Room Table Decor

Want to remember this? Be sure to Pin it!

How to Create a Chippy Finish Using Chalk Paint

Sometimes, the all-time things happen by accident!

You might also relish this article: